Monday, October 20, 2008

Nearer, My God, to Thee

One is an FBI agent investigating mortgage fraud and other financial crimes in Los Angeles. Another is in New York, an editor at ProPublica, a nonprofit newsroom that produces investigative journalism in the public interest. A third is going to graduate school at USC while working for that university's media relations department.

All are among the scores of reporters and editors who have left The San Diego Union-Tribune during the newspaper industry's unprecedented freefall.

Some of us are hanging on, determined to stay with the ship wherever it may lead. Others are determined to lead the ship back to profitable waters. And still others are desperately trying to find another line of work, something more secure in an insecure economy.

But the John Gilmores, Gerry Brauns, Anna Cearleys and Susan Whites of the U-T have already made their break, and are doing quite well, thank you.

John Gilmore, a longtime editor at the paper who had been here so long he was among those who covered the 1978 PSA plane crash over North Park, took a buyout two years ago. Old enough to get senior discounts on his lunches at Denny's and monthly passes on the San Diego Trolley (OK, he's 63!), John wasn't quite sure what to do when the initial buyout offer was made to those with 30 years of experience. But he had an idea.

"My intent at that time was to work with special education kids," John told me during a recent conversation. "I had some interviews and was going to go in that direction."

It would be a part-time job, but before it came to fruition, a more lucrative opportunity arose. He got a call from a former co-worker, who was heading the communications department at the Port of San Diego. She had been promoted and needed a replacement. Today, John is a communications manager for the Port, dealing with pesky reporters (some of whom he used to supervise), writing, developing a newsletter and engaging in some serious consulting work.

"It's been a great learning experience," he said. "I've been able to learn new things, I've been energized. It's a breath of fresh air."

And what about his previous life?

"I miss the people, and there have been occasions where I miss being in a newsroom. It's a stimulating experience...But seeing the direction of the business, I don't have any regrets.

Neither does Anna Cearley, former Border Team reporter extraordinaire.

"I think some people were surprised I took the buyout, but I had already been considering other options for about a year when I started to realize things were changing drastically in the newspaper industry. I saw a greater emphasis on multimedia, which I was starting to learn on my own and through the U-T, and less room in the paper for the kinds of explanatory border stories that I had been able to do in the past. Even if things had been going great in the news business, I still would have been restless. I had been doing the border crime beat for seven years and I was thinking it was time for a change, but I wasn't really interested in doing any other beat at the paper. Towards the end of 2007, I applied for a job with USC's media relations department and also applied for a graduate program at USC on the creation and management of online communities. Both of them seemed to be attractive opportunities to broaden my skill base and redirect my career under the current uncertain circumstances. When the buyout offer came up in December I realized that I had the money to go to graduate school and this seemed like a sign that I should take the leap. I ended up getting the USC job six months later."

She continued:

"In my job, I put a lot of my reporting skills to use. I look for possible story ideas in the areas of education and public policy based on the work of USC researchers. I either write these stories for our web site and/or pitch the ideas to reporters. I read research papers and try to convert them into "regular" English with a stronger emphasis on "why this is important." I work with faculty to encourage them to formulate ideas for editorials and to find ways to express their thoughts in a way that doesn't read like an academic paper."

In graduate school, she's working with two classmates to design a small social network site under the direction of a Yahoo! product management director. "I'm also learning a lot about the very forces that have contributed to the problems in the newspaper industry. I don't like all that is being done by the online world, but I see how important it will be for the media to embrace innovation in upcoming years."

Any regrets?

"Between work, school, blogging and family obligations I don't have much time to dwell on the past. I do feel sad for what's happening in the journalism industry. I think the profession is a noble one and it plays a vital role in making sure there are proper checks and balances in our system. To be totally honest, I loved my job at the Union-Tribune and appreciated greatly the opportunities the company gave me. Covering the border over the past seven years was a deeply satisfying time of my life."

The note about the profession being a noble one brings to mind what one departing editor said when she left, just before the buyouts and layoffs began. Karen Ristine noted she was leaving one calling, but embracing another: She's now a Methodist minister in Mission Valley.

Indeed, those who have left are doing quite well. Former metro reporter Liz Neely just landed a job as an investigator for a law firm. Former business reporter Craig Rose is working for City Attorney Mike Aguirre. Former columnist Gerry Braun is working for Mayor Jerry Sanders. Former reporters Chet Barfield and Mark Sauer are working for Councilwoman Donna Frye. Former North County reporter Lisa Petrillo is working at Children's Hospital. And the list go on.

As for me, I'm with the group determined to help lead this ship to more settled seas. And if the Titanic goes down, I have the sheet music to Nearer, My God, to Thee on my desk. I'll play the violin.


5 comments:

anna said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

Hi, T. Journalist. Thanks for the update on my former UT colleagues. I see you included my own story with a mention that I have a blog, too.

Just in case people are interested...it's called Across the Border, and it should come as no surprise that it's about the border!

http://acrosstheborder.wordpress.com

Best wishes to all who stayed, Anna

Anonymous said...

p.s. and anyone who needs an expert for a news story can also call me at USC: 213-740-7895. I know what it's like to be on deadline...
:-)

Unknown said...

For ex-reporters/editors and ad sales people of the SD Union Tribune, we will eventually have jobs for reporters and ad sales people, and currently have business opportunities available with our franchise hometowntimes.com. I'm David Silver and can be reached at 888-dav-idsilver or 888-328-4374. I'm a local - 858-430-0444. Call me for more info... Jobs won't be available until we have a franchisee here in San Diego.

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.