Monday, May 4, 2009

The omen

Nearly nine years after moving to paradise to work for The San Diego Union-Tribune, I am no longer employed by The Copley Press. The sale of the U-T to Platinum Equity has been completed, it was announced today, and folks from City Hall to southeastern San Diego are wondering what vision the private equity firm has for the local institution.

What does this mean to me? Being a person of simple tastes, I don't ask for much. And while discussing the sale in the company gym not long after it was announced, my request was simple: I just hope Platinum puts an end to the deferred maintenance on the treadmills and stair masters and fixes the damn things.

Fifteen minutes after I left, someone was in the gym working on the machines.

A good omen, indeed.

No comments: